Sunday, May 5, 2013

Photography Goal

Lately people have been asking what type of photography do I want to do. On a more professional level, the main thing I've done is take pictures at live events. Though fun, it is also a bit nerve racking. A lot of things are out of control and I do not want to disappoint the people who hire me. Through various classes, I've learned about different forms, techniques, and methods of photography and find most of them fascinating. I'm still trying to figure out what type of photography I want to make a living out of, but there is one thing I know for sure: I must do something on/about the LGBT community.

There are a lot of misconceptions about the LGBT community. Some people think all gay men are super flamboyant, all lesbians are really butch, that there is no such thing as bisexuality, and that all transgendered people are prostitutes. These stereotypes are not only wrong, but really harmful. They are giving homophobic assholes an excuse to keep gay marriage illegal. We have come a long way since the Stonewall riots, but there is still a good ways to go until we are equal.

I want to show all the sides of this wonderful community to the world. My end goal is to publish a book, but two mini and more realistic goals are to post a documentary on YouTube and later have an art show dedicated to this cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment